Sudden diarrhea and now vomiting Special for DogFoodChat visitors: FREE Shipping on Dog Food (USA Only)! at Petflow.com. Orders $49+
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree24Likes

Thread: Sudden diarrhea and now vomiting

Thanks

Default Sudden diarrhea and now vomiting

Mateo has had diarrhea for 2 days now, sudden onset. It started yesterday, but his appetite was mostly normal; I fed him more bone-heavy meals (chicken backs, some necks, with a bit of tripe, am and pm.)

Well, overnight, he had an accident (never happened before) of more diarrhea. The next morning, we went to the park as usual, then he didn't have an appetite when we returned home-- which was a good thing, as I planned on fasting him. Around 3 pm I came home and tried to feed him some chicken backs. He just looked at them and walked away.

Later, I caved and made up a batch of boiled rice and ground beef, thinking it would be soft for his stomach, and maybe stimulate his appetite. He eventually ate it, but with not much enthusiasm...

Throughout the day (today), more diarrhea, some with a bit of blood in it, but mostly just liquid goo. At around 9 pm tonight, I gave him the rest of the rice and ground beef. He sat and looked at it for awhile, then ate it.

And then, 2 hours later, threw everything up. Fortunately, he did take a good long drink of fresh water about 10 minutes after.

So. I just chucked a bunch of bones into the slow cooker to become broth overnight. I will feed him some tomorrow.

Should I go through another day of this before taking him to the vet? He is acting normally, besides a bit slowed-down from not feeling well...

(Mateo: Raw fed since July, 2011)
    "Dogs are our link to paradise." ~Milan Kundera

Thanks
    Thanked 3,868 Times in 2,676 Posts

Honestly, it sounds like he hasn't had a break since it all started. At the first sign of diarrhea, I recommend fasting for 24 hours, especially for such a big guy that he is he can handle it. Then after that fasting, feeding small bone in meals that are as lean as possible...definitely no tripe! Meals should be 1/2 sized at most for the first day or two based on how he does. Giving sodium free broth with slippery elm can definitely help.

You should also keep him quiet as in no park or rigorous exercise as it can exacerbate the problem.

PLEASE don't feed him anything for the next 24 hours. Any vet that knows anything will tell you this as well.

If he vomits more, then I would take him in.

Natalie
    Feeding raw since 2008

Proper Carnivore Nutrition - Prey Model Raw

3. The Following User Says Thank You to DaneMama For This Useful Post:

NewYorkDogue (04-12-2012)

Banned
    Thanks

I'm sure DaneMama has given you the best advice, but I just want to chime in and say I hope Mateo is feeling better soon. It does seem like ground beef might not be the best for him right now.
    magicre and NewYorkDogue like this.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to xellil For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by xellil View Post
    I'm sure DaneMama has given you the best advice, but I just want to chime in and say I hope Mateo is feeling better soon. It does seem like ground beef might not be the best for him right now.
    Things that may "sound" good for dogs with diarrhea, aren't necessarily the best thing for them. Switching a raw fed dog to a cooked diet of ground beef and rice isn't ideal. Not only is the dog's system not used to cooked things, but also not used to grains. Both components have a greater chance of causing more problems than fixing it.
    NewYorkDogue likes this.

Natalie
    Feeding raw since 2008

7. The Following User Says Thank You to DaneMama For This Useful Post:

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DaneMama View Post
    Things that may "sound" good for dogs with diarrhea, aren't necessarily the best thing for them. Switching a raw fed dog to a cooked diet of ground beef and rice isn't ideal. Not only is the dog's system not used to cooked things, but also not used to grains. Both components have a greater chance of causing more problems than fixing it.
    yes, that's what I said. I think cooked ground meat would be last (or close to last) on my list for an upset stomach.
    NewYorkDogue likes this.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to xellil For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Haha I read it backwards. I thought you were saying it WAS a good thing LOL....its been a long day.
    xellil likes this.

Natalie
    Feeding raw since 2008

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DaneMama View Post
    Haha I read it backwards. I thought you were saying it WAS a good thing LOL....its been a long day.
    I guess for me too. I read what wrote and it didn't make much sense to me either. I think i will go to bed now!

Thanks

Yep, I screwed up with the rice/ground beef. When I think about it, a complete switch up of cooked- no matter how well-intentioned- was not going to end well. He had no real appetite; I should have just followed this sign.

Okay, so no food today; I may try the broth. I am thinking i should skim off any fat that is in the broth...?
    xellil likes this.

(Mateo: Raw fed since July, 2011)
    "Dogs are our link to paradise." ~Milan Kundera

Thanks

I hope your boy starts feeling better today. I know it's stressful, (try doing that with 10 dogs ) and I think our first instinct is to want them to eat so we can see that they're feeling like themselves again. I would listen to Danemama and let his gut rest. Please keep us posted on how he's doing.
    I love your squishy faced dog from afar and want to see him well and charming everyone in his hood again real soon!
    NewYorkDogue likes this.

Raw fed since spring of 2011!

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Donna Little For This Useful Post:

Banned
    Thanks

I would remove the fat, for sure.
    NewYorkDogue likes this.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to xellil For This Useful Post:

Thread Information