Gunners bald spot... Special for DogFoodChat visitors: FREE Shipping on Dog Food (USA Only)! at Petflow.com. Orders $49+
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Gunners bald spot...

Thanks

Default Gunners bald spot...

Just wondering if this is common in very short haired dogs. I vaguely recall my grandmothers pitbull having this same bald spot.

Its not irritated, just bald.

Sorry for the bad photos...my camera is a sad excuse for a camera.

Please ignore my ugly man hands... I have the girl version of my dads short fat hands

Thoughts?

"I think how I used to pay a dollar twenty-nine at the pet store for one dried pig ear. I think how there used to be baskets of pig hooves, and cow bones to choose from by the cash register. I think how disgusting I use to think that was.
    The dried-up jaw still has its teeth. That much I can see.
    I think how gentle we want to believe the natural world is, but how unapologetically savage it is." - 'Fifty Acres and a Poodle'

Thanks

Also, he doesn't have fleas.

He hardly ever lays on the concrete in the back yard.

We had a small amount of bricks in our old yard and it was mostly grass, he had the spot back then too.

"I think how I used to pay a dollar twenty-nine at the pet store for one dried pig ear. I think how there used to be baskets of pig hooves, and cow bones to choose from by the cash register. I think how disgusting I use to think that was.
    I think how gentle we want to believe the natural world is, but how unapologetically savage it is." - 'Fifty Acres and a Poodle'

Thanks

Are there certain seasons when it becomes bald? Like spring/summer for example?
    www.urbanmushing.com

www.luratics.com

Aspen-male Alaskan Malamute
    DOB 8/10/05

"For the strength of the pack is the wolf, and the strength of the wolf is the pack."
    - Rudyard Kipling

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by malluver1005 View Post
    Are there certain seasons when it becomes bald? Like spring/summer for example?

Since he is under a year old, I haven't had the chance to observe it seasonally. It has been like this for a few months. Has not gotten any worse or any better.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,869 Times in 2,676 Posts

That spot is typical of short haired dogs because the way the sit on their tail.

Natalie
    Feeding raw since 2008

Proper Carnivore Nutrition - Prey Model Raw

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DaneMama View Post
    That spot is typical of short haired dogs because the way the sit on their tail.
    That is what I was thinking :) I just needed clarification. I had been meaning to ask for a while but kept forgetting. Thank you!

Thanks

Welcome to the wonderful world of owning a blue pit bull! Alot of these dogs can have skin issues regardless of color but the blues in particular seem to have the most issues from what I see on the pit bull forums i frequent. My girl has allergies as well as some hormonal related hairloss that I've been dealing with. Her allergies started before she turned a year old and after her first heat cycle. I hope that little bald spot won't turn into more bald spots over time. You can try a product called Nu stock which promotes new hair growth but you would have to put a cone around his neck to prevent him from licking. It smells like pine sol and sulfur but works awesome! Blue colored dogs and allergies or skin and coat issues can be quite common in our breed.
    Last edited by ShanniBella; 03-06-2012 at 02:55 PM.
    Photobucket
    ~If your dog is fat, you aren't getting enough excercise~

PMR fed since April 1st 2012

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ShanniBella View Post
    Welcome to the wonderful world of owning a blue pit bull! Alot of these dogs can have skin issues regardless of color but the blues in particular seem to have the most issues from what I see on the pit bull forums i frequent. My girl has allergies as well as some hormonal related hairloss that I've been dealing with. Her allergies started before she turned a year old and after her first heat cycle. I hope that little bald spot won't turn into more bald spots over time. You can try a product called Nu stock which promotes new hair growth but you would have to put a cone around his neck to prevent him from licking. It smells like pine sol and sulfur but works awesome! Blue colored dogs and allergies or skin and coat issues can be quite common in our breed.
    He hasn't displayed any other issues so I am sure it is what Natalie mentioned. He does sit on that part of his tail.

If he does develope more spots or allergy symtoms, I will be back with more questions! :)

Banned
    Thanks

Is that why Snorkels' tail is full underneath but totally bald on top? It's certainly something I've never thought of. Her coat as completely returned, except on the top of her tail.

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Sprocket View Post

Please ignore my ugly man hands... I have the girl version of my dads short fat hands
    I didn't see this sentence at first - when I saw the photo of your hands I didn't think they were ugly man hands. But I did notice how spectacularly clean under your fingernails are!
    Chocx2 and hmbutler like this.

Thread Information