Location of rabies vaccine Special for DogFoodChat visitors: FREE Shipping on Dog Food (USA Only)! at Petflow.com. Orders $49+
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree5Likes
  • 2 Post By CoverTune
  • 2 Post By Scarlett_O'
  • 1 Post By ShanniBella

Thread: Location of rabies vaccine

Thanks

Question Location of rabies vaccine

Bella received her rabies vaccine last Thursday and I just found a lump up around her shoulder blade. They took her out back because she is to clingy with me and a little protective so I didn't see the injection site as to where they stuck her with the needle. Just curious because now I'm worried about the lump and can't call the vet until the morning. Thanks for any info
    Photobucket
    ~If your dog is fat, you aren't getting enough excercise~

PMR fed since April 1st 2012

Thanks

I would call in the morning and just ask where the injection site was, to make sure that's what it is... but it's not at all uncommon for there to be a lump at the site of a rabies vaccination. Corona's first one took a couple months to go away.

Keep an eye on it for changes, but otherwise, don't worry.
    Scarlett_O' and brandypup like this.

Stacey
    Feeding PMR since December 2011

Thanks

I just read on the other post where you said that she has a week immune....so I wouldn't doubt that it is from the rabies shot. I would call the vet to make sure, However, watch her closely, keep Benadryl on hand and don't give her any shots any more. Brody had a small lump after his 3rd set shot(normal vaccine) then when he got his one year booster(bad Mommi) he swelled up so that his face(which is just over the size of a baseball) was well over the size of a softball within 30min....so ya, not to be a debbie downer or anything....but ya!
    Liz and brandypup like this.
    ^IMO/IME
    Im Abi
    Pups: Rhett and Caoimhe("Keeva"), '11 Border Collies, Leo, '07 Border Collie, Brody, '10 Pug/x and Miss Dixi, '08 Mini Dachshund.
    Kitties: Ladi Ducki, 1 year old Turkish Van Cat, Princes Pidgin, 2 year old Snowshoe/Calico cat.
    All raw fed and LOVING it, because no living being is made to live off of processed foods.

PMRaw~~“Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple.”

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Scarlett_O' For This Useful Post:

ShanniBella (03-05-2012)

Thanks

I would call and check.
    I would also report it if it's at the injection site.
    Critter Advocacy
    Mild reactions

The following reactions are fairly common, usually start within hours to several days after vaccination, and last no more than several days:

discomfort at the site where the vaccine was given - mild fever - diminished appetite and activity - sneezing at about four to seven days after administration of an intranasal vaccine. Development of a small, firm, non-painful swelling under the skin at the site where the vaccine was given. The swelling usually goes away after several weeks, but if you notice such a swelling, you should contact your veterinarian.

Serious reactions
    These reactions occur very rarely:

vomiting, diarrhea, or difficult or labored breathing
    a serious and potentially life-threatening allergic reaction within several minutes to an hour after vaccination
    a kind of tumor called an injection site fibrosarcoma developing at the vaccine site several weeks, months, or even years following vaccination

What should I do if I think my cat is experiencing a problem as a result of vaccination?

By all means, consult with your veterinarian. Even though vaccine-related adverse reactions are uncommon, the consequences can be serious. Your veterinarian is the individual most qualified to advise you if an untoward event does occur. Any lump found under the skin at a vaccine site that persist more than 3 weeks should be removed ASAP and biopsied, hopefully before it becomes cancerous.
    RAW FED CLAN
    Boomer Beagle, Stewie LH Chihuahua
    GG, Pisces, Zodie, Butterball, Dolly
    [COLOR="#800080"]RIP Foster kitten Benji is Raw Quail fed dry FIP kitten.
    Prayers to good lives to my past foster cats.[/COLOR]
    In memory of Miss Bones. VAS victim 2001-2010

Thanks

AAHA standards say Rabies vaccines are to be given over the Right Hip area, unless there are extenuating circumstances. The DHPP (distemper combo) is typically given in the shoulder area (technically right shoulder, but more often than not it is given over the shoulder blades).

I'd just wait and call the vet about it. Watch her for any possible reactions, and do report those, IF they are related.
    Bailey-obedience nerd, tracking addict, hunting enthusiast
    Buzz-rally nerd, fishing addict, sleeping enthusiast
    http://arohaspringer.blogspot.com

Thanks

I called my vet first thing this morning and asked the location of the injection site. It was on the right front shoulder and she still has a small lump there. Of course they want me to bring her in anyways but are they just trying to get more money out of me is my question? Or should I leave her alone because it will eventually go away? I just want opinions because I made an app for tomorrow night to have it checked out. It will be two weeks this Thursday sice she was given the rabies shot. Advice welcomed! Thanks :)
    Photobucket

Thanks

If they'll do the recheck for no cost, sure, pop her in. Otherwise, if there's no heat or pain on the lump, I would just wait and watch.

Stacey
    Feeding PMR since December 2011

9. The Following User Says Thank You to CoverTune For This Useful Post:

ShanniBella (03-05-2012)

Thanks

I know there will be a cost involved but where it is a re-check it would be a discounted cost because i was just there.
    Photobucket

Thanks
    Thanked 3,869 Times in 2,676 Posts

Typically rabies vaccines are given on the right side of the body (Rabies on the Right)

I would just keep an eye on it...no real need to take her in at all like CoverTune said.

Natalie
    Feeding raw since 2008

Proper Carnivore Nutrition - Prey Model Raw

Thanks

Well, I took Bella for a re-check and the lump has gone down since the wknd but it's still about the size of a dime/nickel. The vet said it can take 8 weeks to go away. I also wasn't even charged an exam fee and the vet was with us talking to me for 45 minutes! I love my vet! She is wonderful and I wasn't expecting to walk away without paying something for her time. This is also the same vet who took an hour of her time to consult with me over Bella's home cooked diet without charging me a vet visit once again. More vets should be like this! Thanks for all the info/advice to all that replied! :)
    Scarlett_O' likes this.
    Photobucket

Thread Information