DRIED Anchovies! Special for DogFoodChat visitors: FREE Shipping on Dog Food (USA Only)! at Petflow.com. Orders $49+
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree12Likes
  • 5 Post By Scarlett_O'
  • 3 Post By Tobi
  • 1 Post By schtuffy
  • 3 Post By Scarlett_O'

Thread: DRIED Anchovies!

Thanks

Default DRIED Anchovies!

Hello! I am cleaning out my frig and found couple of boxes of dried anchovies. They're about 1 to 2 inches big and was quite expensive when I bought them a year ago (imported from korea). My question is, Is it ok to feed it to my 14week lab? Any recipes you guys might have? I could ground them up and maybe use them to make treats but I dont know... Anyone???

Thanks

I just gave Max (my labie) one big one and he nom nom nom-ed it up quite nicely. But I think it's quite salty... he drank water right after lol.

Thanks

What does the label say as to what is in it?

If it was salted highly I would skip them.
    ^IMO/IME
    Im Abi
    Pups: Rhett and Caoimhe("Keeva"), '11 Border Collies, Leo, '07 Border Collie, Brody, '10 Pug/x and Miss Dixi, '08 Mini Dachshund.
    Kitties: Ladi Ducki, 1 year old Turkish Van Cat, Princes Pidgin, 2 year old Snowshoe/Calico cat.
    All raw fed and LOVING it, because no living being is made to live off of processed foods.

PMRaw~~“Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple.”

Thanks

what does your dog normally eat? kibble? raw? I wouldn't feed too many at a time or you might find splatters on your floor and wall, things like that could be pretty rich and cause digestive upset if given in large quantities.
    Photobucket

David~Furmommy in every sense of the word...Raw fed and loving it!!! 3/11/11
    "A Tired Bull Terrier is a Happy Bull Terrier owner"

Thanks

If I'm not mistaken, the Asian dried anchovies usually are salted? At least the ones I use
    Scarlett_O' likes this.
    ~* * Sophie * *~

Louis Japanese Spitz, 11/05/09
    PMR since November 2010

Happiness is a warm puppy. ~Charles M. Schulz

Thanks

Pretty sure it's salted because I can actually taste the salt through my nose! I'm probably going to ground some up and bake some dog biscuits with it. Hmm.. I'll post pictures if I do! lol

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kennyk View Post
    Pretty sure it's salted because I can actually taste the salt through my nose! I'm probably going to ground some up and bake some dog biscuits with it. Hmm.. I'll post pictures if I do! lol
    That's way too much sodium! Either toss them or eat them yourself.....WAY too much for your dog!!!!
    ^IMO/IME
    Im Abi
    Pups: Rhett and Caoimhe("Keeva"), '11 Border Collies, Leo, '07 Border Collie, Brody, '10 Pug/x and Miss Dixi, '08 Mini Dachshund.
    Kitties: Ladi Ducki, 1 year old Turkish Van Cat, Princes Pidgin, 2 year old Snowshoe/Calico cat.
    All raw fed and LOVING it, because no living being is made to live off of processed foods.

PMRaw~~“Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple.”

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Scarlett_O' For This Useful Post:

DoglovingSenior (09-17-2011)

Thanks

Ack really? I use them as treats for my dogs, it doesn't say salt on the label but they do smell salty, I don't give them a lot though maybe two fish each per day....
    Josie, IG, born 2009, adopted July 16, 2012
    Tess, IG, born April 2, 2011
    Bishop, Sheltie, born June 25, 2010
    Benny, DSH, born ~2000
    Cola, DLH, born October 2012

All raw fed except picky cat Benny ;-)

Thanks

I just used a handful to make treats with liver and he loves it. I threw the rest of them away because no one in the family likes fish stock or anything anchovy related lol. I remembered why I bought it in the first place! It was actually a raffle prize that I won by buying 50 tickets @ $1 each lol a donation sorta thing for elderly people i think... O WELLS! lol Thanks for your inputs!

Thread Information