Tomato Pomace Special for DogFoodChat visitors: FREE Shipping on Dog Food (USA Only)! at Petflow.com. Orders $49+
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Tomato Pomace

Thanks

Default Tomato Pomace

Is it good? Is it bad? What's the deal with it, I've heard some people say its fine and other people refuse to feed their dog any food with it as an ingredient.

Thanks

Well, I don't worry about it. Its a digestible fiber, and contributes lycopene. Some people feel its just a cheap filler in the food. Its not anything I have ever worried about nor has it caused any problems in my dogs. I am sure you will get people who wont feed it in dog food or will feed it. For me I have had no problem with it.
    I've seen a look in dogs' eyes, a quickly vanishing look of amazed contempt, and I am convinced that basically dogs think humans are nuts.
    People may forget what you said, and people may forget what you did, but they will never forget how you made them feel......
    Growing old is Mandatory~Growing Up Optional!:Lucky, Gordon, Sandi, Roxi!!!

Thanks

Tomato pomace IS cheap and IS a filler, but it's quite fibrous and can help with stools. Pumpkin in good dry foods is higher quality and costs more, but it really doesn't matter.

Thanks

I personally dont have a problem with it, Uno loves tomatoes, skin and all, if it doesent offer much nutrition, its not really hurting.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,709 Times in 1,075 Posts

It's like other ingredients, its refuse from a human food manufacturing plant that would otherwise be thrown away if not being bought by the dog food companies.
    jdatwood and magicre like this.
    Bill

Feeding raw since 2002

http://www.skylarzack.com/rawfeeding.htm

"Unnatural diets predispose animals to unnatural outcomes"
    Dr. Tom Lonsdale

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RawFedDogs For This Useful Post:

Caty M (03-21-2011), jdatwood (03-21-2011)

Banned
    Thanks

You could call it a filler, but it serves a big purpose with it's fiber. Which is a stool stiffner. If you didn't have something like this in the dog food it "could" get ugly. You could say a lot of ingredients in dog food could be considered a filler. Most of the fruits and vegetables, fed fresh or in dog food kibble really isn't needed. And actually most dairy products are bad for dogs, cheese, milk and so on. My point is, BIG DEAL it isn't gonna harm your dog. You should be adding fresh meat to your dogs diet anyway,, which is more important than worrying about a minor ingredient.

Roo
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by GermanSheperdlover View Post
    You could call it a filler, but it serves a big purpose with it's fiber. Which is a stool stiffner. If you didn't have something like this in the dog food it "could" get ugly. You could say a lot of ingredients in dog food could be considered a filler. Most of the fruits and vegetables, fed fresh or in dog food kibble really isn't needed. And actually most dairy products are bad for dogs, cheese, milk and so on. My point is, BIG DEAL it isn't gonna harm your dog. You should be adding fresh meat to your dogs diet anyway,, which is more important than worrying about a minor ingredient.
    So, wouldn't my money be better spent on a fresh meat diet rather than a kibble diet with tons of filler?
    sassymaxmom likes this.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Roo View Post
    So, wouldn't my money be better spent on a fresh meat diet rather than a kibble diet with tons of filler?
    Most of us would say YES!!! No hesitation....
    Last edited by jdatwood; 03-22-2011 at 06:50 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,709 Times in 1,075 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jdatwood View Post
    GSL on the other hand would tell you it's better to pay for highly processed meats and lots of species inappropriate ingredients....
    That wasn't what she said in this thread. What she said actually makes sense to me. Remember she is addressing a kibble feeding person (I think).
    Bill

Feeding raw since 2002

http://www.skylarzack.com/rawfeeding.htm

"Unnatural diets predispose animals to unnatural outcomes"
    Dr. Tom Lonsdale

11. The Following User Says Thank You to RawFedDogs For This Useful Post:

SubMariner (03-22-2011)

Thanks

I've never seen a kibble with it high up in ingredients. Do kibble fed dogs need fiber in there? I know bones act like a stool binder in raw fed dogs but couldn't the kibble companies add more bone instead of a vegetable filler?
    jdatwood likes this.

Thread Information