Canola oil...good or bad? Special for DogFoodChat visitors: FREE Shipping on Dog Food (USA Only)! at Petflow.com. Orders $49+
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks

Default Canola oil...good or bad?

Canola Oil In Pet Foods : Whole Dog News

Canola Oil in Pet Foods; Is it Healthy?

THE CANOLA / "CON-OLA" CONTROVERSY

It says that modern day canola oil doesn't contain as much erucic acid, but is it still an ingredient to avoid? I've seen it in even in the higher quality, holistic dog foods like Merrick and Wellness.

Thanks

I heard along time ago that Canola oil was bad for people, so how is it good for pets?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by whiteleo View Post
    I heard along time ago that Canola oil was bad for people, so how is it good for pets?
    According to the Mayo Clinic it's not "bad for people": http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/canola-oil/AN01281
    =SubMariner=
    No matter where you go, there you are!

Thanks

Yes, just like eggs are good, no they are bad, they are good, bad. I just stick to Olive oil and butter.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to whiteleo For This Useful Post:

magicre (08-17-2010)

Thanks

same with safflower oil
    one minute it is wonderful, next report its horrible!

who knows.
    i feel comfortable feeding it as long as its not high on the ingredient list

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by whiteleo View Post
    Yes, just like eggs are good, no they are bad, they are good, bad. I just stick to Olive oil and butter.
    Exactly!

Next thing they'll say is living is bad for you.

I think ANYTHING can be bad for you if overdone; moderation is the key.
    =SubMariner=
    No matter where you go, there you are!

Thanks

Canola oil is from the seeds of the canola plant which is crushed. It is among the healthiest of cooking oils. The problem is it is high in unsaturated fats. It high in healthy unsaturated fats.
    If you have read any Internet reviews about canola oil made from the rapeseed plant, they say it has a toxic effect to humans. The rumors state ailments from respiratory diseases as well as blindness.This oil(rapeseed) which is sometimes confused with canola has high levels of erucic acid and can be toxic.
    since canola comes from the canola plant the seeds, the erucic acid is way below the FDA's policy.
    I wouldn't be afraid to use it.
    I've seen a look in dogs' eyes, a quickly vanishing look of amazed contempt, and I am convinced that basically dogs think humans are nuts.
    People may forget what you said, and people may forget what you did, but they will never forget how you made them feel......
    Growing old is Mandatory~Growing Up Optional!:Lucky, Gordon, Sandi, Roxi!!!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,779 Times in 1,376 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by wags View Post
    Canola oil is from the seeds of the canola plant which is crushed. It is among the healthiest of cooking oils. The problem is it is high in unsaturated fats. It high in healthy unsaturated fats.
    If you have read any Internet reviews about canola oil made from the rapeseed plant, they say it has a toxic effect to humans. The rumors state ailments from respiratory diseases as well as blindness.This oil(rapeseed) which is sometimes confused with canola has high levels of erucic acid and can be toxic.
    since canola comes from the canola plant the seeds, the erucic acid is way below the FDA's policy.
    I wouldn't be afraid to use it.
    canola plant is a made up word...because no one would buy an oil from the rape plant....

http://www.nutribase.com/oils.shtml

this is a sad thing, i think....it's not a good oil....soy is controversial....

so, i also stick with extra virgin olive oil.....sometimes i render my own chicken fat...and butter.

Thanks

Thanks guys. I guess I don't need to avoid it, although I guess I should give my dog additional fish oil when feeding Merrick, Taste of the Wild, Wellness, etc., though, since they can't benefit as much from it as they do from fish oil, since it's plant-based.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by magicre View Post
    canola plant is a made up word...because no one would buy an oil from the rape plant....

NutriBase Glossary: Fats and Oils

this is a sad thing, i think....it's not a good oil....soy is controversial....

so, i also stick with extra virgin olive oil.....sometimes i render my own chicken fat...and butter.
    Oh man I meant rapeseed when I wrote canola plant UGH! Sorry 'bout that! Tyeping what I thought was the right word !

I still am not scared though to use this oil when cooking though! I think its ok!
    Last edited by wags; 08-18-2010 at 12:16 PM. Reason: and now I spelled something wrong UGH!!!!!!!!!!!
    I've seen a look in dogs' eyes, a quickly vanishing look of amazed contempt, and I am convinced that basically dogs think humans are nuts.
    People may forget what you said, and people may forget what you did, but they will never forget how you made them feel......
    Growing old is Mandatory~Growing Up Optional!:Lucky, Gordon, Sandi, Roxi!!!

Thread Information