Dog Lifespan Records And Diet Special for DogFoodChat visitors: FREE Shipping on Dog Food (USA Only)! at Petflow.com. Orders $49+
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Banned
    Thanks

Default Dog Lifespan Records And Diet

Hey guys. Sorry if I put this in the wrong category. Not sure where else it would fit. Anyway, there's been a lot of talk here on the forum about the average lifespan of dogs fed as opposed to dogs fed kibble. Raw Fed Dogs provided an article with a study on this, but I believe that there's a BIG problem with that study. When they stated the average lifespan of dogs fed kibble they didn't mention quality of kibble There's a HUGE difference between let say IAMS and Origin, right??? Who ever conducted that study was VERY unspecific.

Anyhow, here are a few articles recording the oldest dogs whom ever lived and the articles also mention their diets. Did these dogs eat kibble??? I don't think so! They didn't eat raw, but ate a home cooked diet which is still superior to kibble. Would you consider this proof that making your own meal for your dog is better than kibble? This is too much of a coincidence not to be. I understand this wasn't an official study and only involved a few dogs, however this IS evidence to me. Check these excerpts out and then the full articles;

Bluey (June 7, 1910 November 14, 1939) was an Australian cattle dog owned by Les and Esma Hall of Rochester, Victoria, Australia, which, according to an anecdotal report, lived 29 years, 5 months and 7 days, but the record is unverified.[1] Bluey's diet included regular meals of kangaroo and emu.

Perhaps coincidentally, Bluey's owner Esma Hall lived to age 103. Rumors that she was fed on a diet of kangaroo and emu herself are unsubstantiated.

Another dog, Bramble, from Somerset, England, lived for 27 years on a vegetarian diet. (There's also been some controversy here on the forum about dogs fed vegetarian diets. I don't agree with this whatsoever, but this still is interesting)

Full article links;

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bluey_(...ian_cattle_dog)

Vegetable-Eating Dog Lives to Ripe Old Age of 29; Also: Who is the Oldest Dog in the World; And: How to Make Your Dog Live 1.8 Years Longer

Thanks

My first dog was 21 when he passed and I will be honest my parents probably fed him the cheapest dog food there was. Not saying feed your dog crap but I think that is a pretty long life. And he enjoyed every minute of it

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dogtrainer1507 View Post
    My first dog was 21 when he passed and I will be honest my parents probably fed him the cheapest dog food there was. Not saying feed your dog crap but I think that is a pretty long life. And he enjoyed every minute of it
    I also know a 15 year old dog feed crap. I think it just has to do with genetics in this case. Only sure way to help your dog reach its full lifespan potential is to feed a healthy diet though. Crappy kibble is a gamble.

Thanks

I totally agree. I'm guessing that most of the dogs forum eat better then their owners, I know most of my clients dogs do.

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dogtrainer1507 View Post
    I totally agree. I'm guessing that most of the dogs forum eat better then their owners, I know most of my clients dogs do.
    Exactly

Thanks

I haven't had any of my dogs long enough for them to die, but my oldest dog, Kati, was "supposed" to die around 8.5 years of age because she got hit by a car when she was younger so the stupid vets thought she'd have kidney damage and wouldn't live too long. Well she was certainly headed that way when she was on Hill's prescription K/D formula for the next 8 years. When I got her into my full possession I switched her to a better kibble and she did a little better. Then I switched her to raw and she's doing tons better! She's now 12 years old and I'm now fairly certain she's going to be like one of those feisty old ladies who just keeps on truckin' and lives forever.
    An ounce of nutrition is worth a pound of vet bills.

Thanks

I believe that in the old days dog food sold in the grocery stores probably wasn't as bad as it is now by any means. The bottom line has taken it's toll on the quality of everything out there, production costs, inflation etc. So, I can see where dogs back in the day could live longer than they do now. Absolutely everything in this country is not made the way it was back in the day.

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rannmiller View Post
    I haven't had any of my dogs long enough for them to die, but my oldest dog, Kati, was "supposed" to die around 8.5 years of age because she got hit by a car when she was younger so the stupid vets thought she'd have kidney damage and wouldn't live too long. Well she was certainly headed that way when she was on Hill's prescription K/D formula for the next 8 years. When I got her into my full possession I switched her to a better kibble and she did a little better. Then I switched her to raw and she's doing tons better! She's now 12 years old and I'm now fairly certain she's going to be like one of those feisty old ladies who just keeps on truckin' and lives forever.
    That's wonderful!!!!! You should be very, very proud of yourself for basically saving your dog's life!! 12 years already when the vet said 8? Way to go!

Thanks

I saw someone in a post in another thread on here that said something about dogs living to a ripe old age on crap kibble, but if they were on a better kibble, they maybe would have lived even longer? Perhaps that 29 year old vegan dog would have lived to 37 on a high quality, high protein kibble? Or perhaps that 21 year old dog would have lived to be 26? Or so on and so forth? I mean, we'll never know, but it's something worth thinking about, in my opinion.

Wish I knew who said that and where, because I feel bad taking their idea and not giving them credit. XP

10. The Following User Says Thank You to xxshaelxx For This Useful Post:

RCTRIPLEFRESH5 (03-10-2010)

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by xxshaelxx View Post
    I saw someone in a post in another thread on here that said something about dogs living to a ripe old age on crap kibble, but if they were on a better kibble, they maybe would have lived even longer? Perhaps that 29 year old vegan dog would have lived to 37 on a high quality, high protein kibble? Or perhaps that 21 year old dog would have lived to be 26? Or so on and so forth? I mean, we'll never know, but it's something worth thinking about, in my opinion.

Wish I knew who said that and where, because I feel bad taking their idea and not giving them credit. XP
    well i think most of us were thinking that its common sense =p.

so dont feel bads.

Thread Information