What 's a good dog food? Special for DogFoodChat visitors: FREE Shipping on Dog Food (USA Only)! at Petflow.com. Orders $49+
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: What's a good dog food?

Thanks

DefaultWhat's a good dog food?

I heard that some dog foods put euthanized dogs and cats and zoo animals in their food, and I wanted to know if there is a food that doesn't do that because it is bad for your dog. I also heard that the chemical used to euthanize the animal doesn't go away and gets mixed into the food. help?

Thanks

Food that are "at risk" to have what you describe in them will have something like "meat and bone meal" or "meat by products" or "animal by products" or "animal digest" or similar.
    There are several good foods out there to try, you just have to choose one and see how it goes.
    I like Fromm, PetGuard, Merrick, California Natural, Tuscan Natural for dry foods.
    For canned I like Fromm, PetGuard, Kirkland Cuts in Gravy, Weruva, Newmans own, 4Health, etc.

Good luck :)

Thanks

There is also a new food out on the market mid March, Farmina ND. A lot of people have already got samples and are raving about it. My cat has only eaten the one food for the past 4 years, absolutely refused every single other food I've given her, but she gobbled down this food and now won't go back to eating her old food. :( If you are on Facebook have a look for it, you can order some samples on there yourself to see if your dog likes it as well.

4. Remove Advertisements
    DogFoodChat.com
    Advertisements

Thanks

Hello
    Generally Foods like meat and bone good for dog.Apart from that it depend upon what kind of test your pet have.Healthy food always good for pets like dog.

Thanks

What's good for one dog is not good for another. There are a lot of "good" kibbles out there, but that doesn't mean they'll work for every dog. I'd look for a list of ingredients that doesn't look foo-fooey and has named meat sources - chicken or chicken meal vs. meat meal or poultry meal (and at least 2-3 in the first 5 ingredients). I'd also steer away from split ingredient lists (ex: whole peas, pea protein, pea fiber). I'd also avoid corn, wheat, and soy. I don't like to see by-products either (they can include beaks, feathers, feet, etc., unless they specify organ meat). I personally prefer grain free. I have one dog who can eat potatoes as his carb source, and another dog who is VERY allergic to potatoes of any type. Yes, I buy two different types of dog foods, since the ones my allergy dog can eat are very expensive.
    Shamrockmommy likes this.
    Mom to adopted rescues: Maddie (malti-poo/westie) and Kramer (chi/terrier mix)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Georgiapeach View Post
    . I'd look for a list of ingredients that doesn't look foo-fooey .
    LOL I love how my phrase of foo-foo ingredients has been coined here heehee! To me foo-foo means all the latest trendy ingredients like flax seed, chia seed, and all kinds of weird herbs with an ingredient list a mile long.
    Lovely as they look I've not had great luck with those types of foods.
    Georgiapeach likes this.

Thanks

Some foods I have seen have "meat and bone meal" listed as an ingredient, which is if-y for me because, well, what kind of meat? Premium foods will use actual raised livestock bred just for food.

Thanks

I can add a couple more foods here: (Dry) 4Health grain free (at tractor supply) and Source also at tractor supply. Echo's been on the 4H grain free and she has the most SILKY soft coat I've ever felt on a dog.
    Cans: Kirkland Cuts in Gravy, 4Health, PetGuard, Weruva, Fromm, etc.

I rotate kibble/dry all of the time and they also get fresh meats added from time to time plus all sorts of veggies and fruit as snacks and yogurt or kefir.

I also HATE to say it but after having such issues with Jack's tummy {poodle}Purina 1 beyond has 1. firmed up his stool/no gurgle tummy! and 2. he eats it! He's been a very picky dog! What can I say!? In another life I'd have been appalled at me even thinking about trying Purina, much less feeding it.
    But, quiet tummy! No more random cannon butt and soft serve to deal with.

So, as you see, there are many "best" dog foods, just depends on the dog.
    Dr Dolittle likes this.

Thanks

i also like companies without recalls.
    it's my thing.
    Shamrockmommy and MollyWoppy like this.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by NutroGeoff View Post
    Some foods I have seen have "meat and bone meal" listed as an ingredient, which is if-y for me because, well, what kind of meat? Premium foods will use actual raised livestock bred just for food.
    It is virtually impossible to tell the quality of an ingredient from the ingredient panel since chicken meat with bone, feathers, dirt, ect is losted identically as chicken oragn meat from USDA human grade chickens. But when yoiu see meat and bone meal you can know that meal has so much bone, hair hoof, feathers, etc. that the govt says they have to call it meat and bone meal. I don't need to worry myself about the meat since i am not going to feed such an impure source with all that junk that can harm my dog, especially if they are older, due to all the excess calcium and phosphorus. Having said that though, the phosphorus in Walmart's Old Roy is actually lower than the phosphorus in Taste of the Wild and the same as Wellness Core Grain Free. SO the confusing misleading of the marketing continues!
    Shamrockmommy likes this.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information