What 's a good dog food? - Page 2 Special for DogFoodChat visitors: FREE Shipping on Dog Food (USA Only)! at Petflow.com. Orders $49+
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: What's a good dog food?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Shamrockmommy View Post
    LOL I love how my phrase of foo-foo ingredients has been coined here heehee! To me foo-foo means all the latest trendy ingredients like flax seed, chia seed, and all kinds of weird herbs with an ingredient list a mile long.
    Lovely as they look I've not had great luck with those types of foods.
    LOL! Yeas, there are lots of foo foo ingredients these days but flax seed is actually a well researched ingredient that is used oin many vet diets now. It provides lots of Omega 6's for healthy skin and coat, and 20% of the ALA it provides gets converted to EPA/DHA in the dog's body, a great anti-inflkammatory. It also is a great fiber source for GI health and just happens to increase the palatability in the food, at least for dogs. But you are right! Lots of silly ingredients out there. Was just in Petsmart while they were resetting the store. I would say 95% of all the signage and messaging was total BS and meant absolutley nothing....except higher prices!
    Shamrockmommy likes this.

Thanks

Hi! I found this article so very enlightening and informative and hope it does too to you. Here's the link > The ABCs on Understanding Dogs' Food Labels > The ABCs on Understanding Dogs’ Food Labels | All in A Dog's Life – A Journey of Man's Bestpal
    Certified Dog Buddy Here!

Thanks

Know that, it doesn't mean that it's good food for your neighbor's dog/s it will be good food for your dogs too, there are certain foods that will typically fit your dog's needs.

4. Remove Advertisements
    DogFoodChat.com
    Advertisements

Thanks

It is good to give healthy food to your dog, you should choose according to your pets taste, by the way the meat and bone is good for dog, it is a healthy food.
    dog trainer

Thanks

As others have mentioned, you want to find products without "anonymous meat" ingredients. These include ingredients such as "Animal Fat" or "Meat By-Products." As for "good" dog food, there are a few things to keep in mind.

1. Make sure the first ingredient is a high quality meat source (chicken, beef, goat, etc).
    2. Make sure the first 5 ingredients on the label are all ingredients you recognize.
    3. Make sure most of the first 5 ingredients are meat based ingredients and not high protein plant ingredients.
    4. Make sure the company does not have a long history of safety issues, check recall archives for recall histories. But note that having 1 or two recalls across many years is not necessarily a terrible sign.
    5. Make sure you look for reviews on the product you decide to choose. There are many excellent pet food product review websites, this forum is one of them. Check the review page . Some other excellent websites for reviews are DogFoodAdvisor, PawDiet, and DogFoodAnalysis.

Finally, the most important this is to switch slowly and watch your dog closely during the process to ensure your dogs body agrees with the new food :)

Good Luck!!

Thanks

That's true. Many suppliers or canned dog food do have ingredients that a dog should not have. Therefore before going for a dog food supplier we should always get the detailed information about the supplier.

Thanks

I can just about guarantee that you won't find another pet food company (other than VeRUS Pet Foods) who will actually respond to questions with a verifiable, understandable response. VeRUS has food analysis listed with each formula on their website - along with other great information - and if you still have questions, you can fill out the contact form, state your question, and get a response from their VP. They also send free samples. Verus Pet Foods - Home
    This is the article that caught my attention: 15 Dry Dog Food Brands That Have Never Had A Recall
    I have been feeding VeRUS for well over a year. It is great food, my dogs have done extremely well on it. It's definitely worth a look.

Thanks

having had a horrid situation with my 3 labs (at the time) with diamond several years ago, i try very hard to use foods that haven't had a recall which in itself is very difficult.
    fromm, a company that has been around for nearly 100 yrs (and i think discovered the vaccine for distemper but i could be wrong on that or you might not think that a good thing) had one recent recall. and they recalled on their own because there was either too much or too little of a vitamin.
    and they have very good customer service so....for my one dog that eats kibble it's fromm and eli was raw bred and i continue with food from haretoday which is ground fine for him (french bulldog) with bones, and innards. no issues ever from them but not cheap. good thing he's 25 lbs.
    but i am very careful in terms of recalls.my only wise words of advise.

Thanks

fyi-fromm 1800 325-6331 danielle is the nutritionist and very happy to speak with you about any issues you may have-dogs with sensitivities to grains, for example, and anything else.and she even calls back if she's busy.

Thanks

bett- good to know! I think that regardless of the manufacturer, we need to shout loudly about these companies that are CAREFUL, have no recalls while being in business a long time, and who actually respond to the consumer.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information