Something is wrong - Lethargic Cat - Not Eating Special for DogFoodChat visitors: FREE Shipping on Dog Food (USA Only)! at Petflow.com. Orders $49+
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: Something is wrong - Lethargic Cat - Not Eating

Thanks

Default Something is wrong - Lethargic Cat - Not Eating

My 5 year old male cat was fine yesterday morning. However something must have taken effect overnight. This morning he is completely lethargic. He won't get up from his spot and keeps sleeping. He seems almost lifeless and barely responsive. I would set him on his feet to have a feel of his ribs and stomach, checked his limbs, mouth, ears and they seem fine( from what I can). However once he was at his feet, he'd just slowly walk over to the nearest corner and lay down. He won't even eat or drink. We currently feed him on Wellness and Nutro Max (Occasionally Natural Balance but he has to be ' in the mood) . He's normally a picky eater so the only thing he eats without question and hesitation is Fancy Feast( McDonald's). He even turned that down.

I'm still waiting to check on his litter box activity. I can't tell if he's been straining to urinate lately or not. My mom and sister told me when they tried to pick him up he'd whine or make an annoyed growl so that's another clear indication he is in some sort of pain. I just wish I knew what was causing it. He's always been such an upbeat guy, tail always up with confidence. It's heart breaking to see is dragging on the floor. His whole mannerism and the way he carries himself is different and weak.

Unfortunately the vet was booked today so we're taking him immediately tomorrow. Until then I'm watching him closely and marking down additional signs of worry. Should I let him rest or should I try to encourage him to move around? I'm hoping to motivate him to eat later tonight, or at the very least drink something.

He has has a UTI in the past with forming crystals. I'm worried this may be happening again but at that time, are warning sign was blood in the urine. I'm not even sure if he has the strength or desire to use the litter box.

Occasionally, I would hear something close to a cough. Earlier today it was easier to hear his breathing and there was a little bit of a throaty gurgle. This only happened once this morning and maybe 1 month ago. I'm not sure if this is something to worry about or something as simple as me just clearing my throat.

He's an indoor cat. Every now and then we take him out on a leash on our front yard. My mom lets him out in the garage sometimes by himself. Though we're pretty sure we've had all the dangerous things out of reach I'm worried he may have some sort of poisoning. Maybe he ate something while we weren't looking.

I'm looking up more information online and trying to figure out what's going on.

if anyone has had any similar experiences or theories on what could be happening, please, please let me know. Until we go to the vet tomorrow I can't stop worrying. I'm in tears because I can't stand knowing he's in pain and how he was so sweet yesterday morning and so expressive and lively and now he's completely the opposite.

Thank you

Thanks

This sounds like a UTI with a blockage cause by crystals. Our cat acted the exact same way, stopped eating, became lethargic. Your vet wouldnt get you in due to the circumstances? Thats crazy. This is serious and needs to be delt with immediately.

Thanks

Agree with Twoisplenty... blockage is nothing to mess around with. I would go to a different vet if I had to, TODAY.

ACVS - Urethral Obstruction In Male Cats
    MollyWoppy likes this.
    Josie, IG, born 2009, adopted July 16, 2012
    Tess, IG, born April 2, 2011
    Bishop, Sheltie, born June 25, 2010
    Benny, DSH, born ~2000
    Cola, DLH, born October 2012

All raw fed except picky cat Benny ;-)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,779 Times in 1,376 Posts

i have nothing to offer other than you are in my thoughts.

Thanks

:( well I just got into a huge argument with my mom. I too, was worried and started pushing for an emergency visit but my mom is against it. She thinks it's too soon and the vet she spoke to told them since it just started, it's better to wait a day to watch him instead of visit and potentially waste money.

Although I still consider Francis my cat, he's still technically my parent's. Originally, I was going to take him with me when I moved back to the States but after much thought, I decided it would not be a good choice for him. My parents wanted to keep him and believe me taking him would only stress him out. It was a decision I made for his best benefit where he'd be happiest, but I'm getting panicked that my parents don't want to spend the extra money for Francis. I can understand their reasoning, they think they will go there and find out the vet doesn't understand what's wrong because they went too soon and they paid the extra fee for nothing when they could have waited, but personally I don't like taking that chance. Unfortunately, my husband and I cannot afford to take him ourselves ( we're literally poor, which is why we're living with our parents until my immigration papers go through), especially if we're not going to be the ones to keep him.

I just hope and pray he will be alright until tomorrow morning. Good news is he started to react a little more and sit up. Showed some interest in looking out the window. Still not eating or displaying any interest in eating. I feel so powerless.

Kat
    Thanks

I agree with the others, a blockage is nothing to mess with.

2 years ago my cat Sam had a blockage. He became stressed when I went on vacation and left him at home with my sister. 2 days after coming home, he went to the litter box in front of me, which right away caught my attention because he doesnt like going to the litterbox if someone is watching. He was staring right at me and pushing, 5 minutes goes by, nothing, he scoots around the box and still nothing. Finally after 20 minutes of this and me telling my mom he definitley has a blockage, I convinced her to drive me to the emergency clinic at 11:30pm. Luckily I went when I did, his bladder was a couple hours away from bursting.

He had to be hospitalized with a catheter for 24 hours, the clinic wanted him for 48 hours, but I couldnt afford another 200$ hospitalization fee and catheter (It already cost me $1400 for that one night). I took him home and fed him as much canned food as he would eat, and layed puppy pee pads all around my bedroom, he wouldnt go in the box. He would literally lay on the floor and let pee trickle out of him, it was scary stuff. I had to quarantine him in my bedroom for exactly 3 months away from my other cat and keep a detailed catalogue of every pee throughout the day.

Of course, I am NOT saying this will be the case with your cat. Sam had 3 weeks of his body producing crystals in his bladder, so it got really bad, at the bottom of the urine collection bag, it looks like sand.

I dont want to scare you, but when a male gets blocked things can go from bad to worse in no time at all. Try and coax him to eat some canned food, and keep an eye on litterbox activity. Good luck!

And I am also surprised your vet didnt fit you in. When I went to the emergency clinic there were I think like 10 other people there before me (cant remember for sure because I was completely hysterical) and I got seen first. They make exceptions when there is a very serious/critical emergency.
    Last edited by Kat; 05-09-2012 at 07:33 PM.
    MollyWoppy and Caty M like this.

PitaPata Dog tickers
    PitaPata Dog tickers

Thanks

some wellness got caught up in the diamond thing. i'd examine.

Thanks

Kitty needs the vet ASAP. It does sound like a blockage. You can try giving him some pedialyte but again, if he's blocked that could make it bad. Cats are so delicate, they can go from fine, to deathly ill just like that.

I had one cat that passed the blockage on his own in the car on the way to the vet - BUT he wasn't lethargic yet. Just to the point of growling and irritable.
    magicre likes this.
    Owner of Tanis the Australian Sheperd and Tiffa the Miniature Dachshund - Feeding PMR since Oct 2010

Servant to Mo and Achilles feline overlords.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,868 Times in 2,676 Posts

Kitties who get like this need to be seen ASAP as it could be a variety of different things. I'd have a full blood panel run as well as UA. If IV fluid therapy is needed....absolutely have that done. Regardless, keep us posted on the situation!
    MollyWoppy and brandypup like this.

Natalie
    Feeding raw since 2008

Proper Carnivore Nutrition - Prey Model Raw

Thanks

Lethargic Cat = vet always.
    Not eating is an emergency after 2 days (actually 1.5 days) after that they can get fatty liver disease. (leathal)
    Hugs
    Last edited by brandypup; 05-10-2012 at 06:45 AM.
    MollyWoppy likes this.
    RAW FED CLAN
    Boomer Beagle, Stewie LH Chihuahua
    GG, Pisces, Zodie, Butterball, Dolly
    [COLOR="#800080"]RIP Foster kitten Benji is Raw Quail fed dry FIP kitten.
    Prayers to good lives to my past foster cats.[/COLOR]
    In memory of Miss Bones. VAS victim 2001-2010

Thread Information