Eukanuba dog food
Eukanuba dog food review
Eukanuba is manufactured by a subsidiary of Procter&Gamble called Iams. The brand name “Eukanuba” was given by Paul Iams, which means “something supreme”. However, we do not recommend this dog food brand due to questions regarding the quality of its ingredients.
Another sore point is the inclusion of Eukanuba dog food in the 2007 melamine pet food recall. Although the manufacturer has taken steps to correct this mistake, there are still Eukanuba canned formulas and kibbles which may still be in the FDA recall list. Thus, dog owners should check with the list first before buying dog food for their dogs.
Eukanuba dog foods are grain-based formulas which are combined with chicken as their main source of animal-based protein. There are many variants of Eukanuba dog food designed to meet the nutritional needs of different breeds of dogs, different life stages, and dogs with special needs.
Most Eukanuba dog food formulas have chicken and chicken by-product meal as the main source of protein. There are also those that incorporate turkey, lamb, or venison but these are incorporated as raw ingredients which means it still contains about 80% water that evaporates during processing leaving only about 20% of meat.
On the other hand, chicken by-product meal is a meat concentrate which means it has 300% more protein compared to raw meat sources. However, the question as to the sources of the ingredients arises. Being a by-product, the usual ingredients will include slaughterhouse waste and parts of the chicken which have been considered unfit for human consumption.
Being primarily a grain-based formula, a large percentage of its ingredients are carbohydrates. Eukanuba incorporates any of the following carbohydrate sources in its dog food products— rice (brown, brewer’s), sorghum, corn (meal, grits), and barley.
Corn is not easily digestible and since the source has not been identified, there is a possibility that livestock feed grade corn has been used.
Brewer’s Rice is considered a poor cereal grain by-product while dried beet pulp is an inexpensive filler however it has also been associated with improving intestinal health.
None of the various Eukanuba dog food formulas contain chelated minerals and probiotics. Chelated minerals are easily absorbed and used by the body while probiotics provide beneficial microorganisms that will enhance the digestive process.
There is no sign of plant-based protein sources which could have contributed to the protein levels of the product.
One of the main concerns of dog owners regarding Eukanuba dog food products is its being an expensive dog food line, without the quality of ingredients to justify the price. There are also dog owners that cite the poor quality ingredients that contributed to digestive upsets and excessive weight loss of their dogs.
Allergies are the most common problems that dog owners report when feeding any Eukanuba dog food formula to their pets. They attribute this to the incorporation of corn and chicken, both well-known dog food allergens. Dog owners also report of alopecia or hair loss and low energy levels.
While we do not recommend this brand, we have heard numerous testimonials of readers who report that they have not experienced any significant problems when feeding Eukanuba dog food product to their dogs for many years.
Eukanuba Quick Links:
- Eukanuba Dog Food Consumer Rating
- Eukanuba Breed Specific Dog Food Review
- Eukanuba Special Needs Dog Food
- Eukanuba Maintenance Dog Food
- Eukanuba Small Breed Dog Food
- Eukanuba Large Breed Dog Food
- Eukanuba Premium Performance Dog Food
- Eukanuba Naturally Wild Dog Food
Please visit the links listed below for Eukanuba dog food reviews by formula.
Have a comment or question about our Eukanuba dog food review? Want to share your experiences with others? We welcome your comments!
Eukanuba dog food reviews
Eukanuba Dog Food comes in a wide variety of different formulas. We are going to take a in depth at each formula. For more information on the following formulas simply click on the one you want to view.
Eukanuba Breed Specific Dog Food
Lets first start by taking a look at Eukanuba’s breed specific dog food formulas. Let me first note that breed specific dog food is nothing but a marketing scheme. A Boxer doesn’t need any different of a recipe than a German Shepherd. The breed specific formulas come in the following:
- Eukanuba Boxer Formula Dog Food
- Eukanuba Dachshund Formula Dog Food
- Eukanuba German Shepherd Dog Food
- Eukanuba Labrador Retriever Formula Dog Food
- Eukanuba Yorkshire Terrier Formula Dog Food
Eukanuba Special Needs Dog Food
Eukanuba dog food also comes in formulas that are marketed towards dogs with special needs. These formulas include the following:
- Eukanuba Sensitive Stomach Dog Food
- Eukanuba Healthy Joints Dog Food
- Eukanuba Sensitive Skin Dog Food
- Eukanuba Weight Loss Dog Food
Eukanuba Maintenance Dog Food
Eukanuba Maintenance dog food formulas include the following:
- Eukanuba Puppy Growth Dog Food
- Eukanuba Adult Maintenance Dog Food
- Eukanuba Adult Maintenance Weight Control Dog Food
- Eukanuba Adult Maintenance Small Bite Dog Food
- Eukanuba Senior Maintenance Dog Food
Eukanuba Small Breed Dog Food
Eukanuba Small Breed Dog Food is focused towards the smaller breeds. The Eukanuba Small Breed dog food includes the following formulas:
- Eukanuba Small Breed Puppy Dog Food
- Eukanuba Small Breed Adult Dog Food
- Eukanuba Small Breed Weight Control Dog Food
- Eukanuba Small Breed Senior Dog Food
Eukanuba Large Breed Dog Food
Eukanuba Large Breed Dog Food is focused towards the smaller breeds. The Eukanuba Large Breed dog food includes the following formulas:
- Eukanuba Large Breed Puppy Dog Food
- Eukanuba Large Breed Adult Dog Food
- Eukanuba Large Breed Weight Control Dog Food
- Eukanuba Large Breed Senior Dog Food
Eukanuba Premium Performance Dog Food
- Eukanuba Premium Performance Active Dog Food
- Eukanuba Premium Performance Sporting Dog Food
Eukanuba Lamb and Rice Dog Food
- Eukanuba Puppy Natural Lamb & Rice Formula Dog Food
- Eukanuba Weight Control Natural Lamb & Rice Formula Dog Food
- Eukanuba Large Breed Natural Lamb & Rice Formula Dog Food
- Eukanuba Adult Natural Lamb & Rice Formula Dog Food
- Eukanuba Lamb & Rice Senior Dog Food
Eukanuba Naturally Wild Dog Food
- New Zealand Venison & Potato
- North Atlantic Salmon & Rice
- Country-Grown Turkey & Multigrain
Eukanuba Dog Food Consumer Rating
[starrating rows=100 column=’post_title’ order=’asc’ category=93 trends_rating=’img’ trends_rating_set=’famfamfam’ trends_voting=’img’ trends_voting_set=’famfamfam’ hide_empty=0 min_votes=0 div_class=’starrating’]